Sunday, December 13, 2009

raw emotion

the singing teacher pulled something out of me yesterday - amid the nerves ( cos i was singing to her for the first time)...

singing as an expression of the soul. i've always known that... but it never really sank in - or translated to the singing itself cos i'm just so afraid of sounding bad (which then causes me to sound bad cos i tense up and can't sing when i'm scared). i sounded so so so bad yesterday that i went home and cried... cos it was such a waste - and i absolutely hated myself at that moment for not producing what i knew i could... for not sounding as i should

and then it really hit me - that it isn't about me... that it's not about whether people will criticise me afterward (which definitely happens in singing class) but about having expression flow through me - and in context... having God express His love/ our wonder/ adoration through me

fear stops the talents that God has given us huh. i don't have a right to say 'i can't sing' cos God's given me a voice and pitching... and now the ability to harmonise

but this fear of man/ of making mistakes... God really has to remove it... cos He has given me so much - and not just the singing - that i can do with my life... that i can use for His glory that i don't dare to show cos i don't dare to be me/ tend to screw up under pressure. and therein lies the problem - cos it's not me who has to scrounge up the courage and do well under those circumstances but God has to be the one to do the work through me

No comments: